[Kolab-devel] Get something out of Exchange via LDAP?

Henning Holtschneider henning at loca.net
Mon Oct 24 11:11:38 CEST 2005

On Thursday 20 October 2005 17:31, Fabio Pietrosanti wrote:

> During this month i'll have to migrate several tousand of users from an
> exchange installation to Kolab.

You are very brave :-)

> If you could provide a test installation of an exchange server i can
> work on the migration scripts.
> I think that there are serious trouble regarding the way active
> directory password's hash (NTLMv1 and NTLMv2).
> An interesting feature of cyrus sasl is the support of NTLM.
> Which kolab migration scenario could we immagine?

Theoretically, you can leave your users in Active Directory. There is an
Active Directory LDAP backend for Kolab 1 which works more or less out of the
box. The code is still present in Kolab 2, but it doesn't work anymore. We
are currently fixing the AD backend to work again with Kolab 2. When this is
finished, you will be able to store and manage your Kolab users in AD. The
user authentication against the AD uses SASL. This is part of the stock Cyrus
IMAP server and it only needs to be recompiled to include the necessary
Kerberos subsystem.

The second part is the mailbox data migration. I don't know any reliable way
to retreive the messages from the Exchange server into the IMAP server
directly without knowing the users' passwords. Secondly, if you need to
migrate other data than email messages (calendar, contact), you have to
create a PST file manually from each mailbox and re-import the PST file
through the client (Outlook) later.

Regards,
Henning Holtschneider
--