Fwd: Re: [Kolab-devel] The kolab-resource-handlers module

Richard Bos radoeka at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 16 22:34:20 CEST 2005

Op zaterdag 15 oktober 2005 18:34, schreef Bernhard Reiter:
> > IMHO this has to be fixed in order to enable us to move forward in the
> > future.
> >
> > According to my experience such hacks as forking always lead to much
> > trouble later.
> >
> > 95% of the current Horde code is both rotten or unused in Kolab.

To understand what is provided by kolab and what is not I investigated the
kolab-resource-handlers/kolab-resource-handlers/fbview/fbview directory.

There are:
- 3236! files
- Of which 1404! files are cvs related (in a /CVS/ directory)
- 1787! files with a timestamp of "11 Jun 2004" and not in a /CVS/ directory

Am I correct to state that only 45 files (3236 - 1404 - 1787) have been
altered in this directory tree?  It seems to be right:

# fbview> ls -ltr $(find -type f) | grep -v "Jun 11  2004" | grep -v "/CVS/"
|  wc -l
# 45

> > I hope agree with me that we need to get rid of this problem.
>
> I do, as I agree to get rid about the other problems.
> And this is not the biggest one we currently have.
> So we just need to find the work (funding, volunteer or other)
> to solve them.

[wrote this as last part of the email: it seems I volunteered, to work on it a
bit]:

Listed below are the files that have altered.  First remark (RB = me):
RB: the 45 files are reduced to 43 due to the .cvsignore files....

config/.cvsignore
config/conf.php
config/hooks.php
config/html.php
config/mime_drivers.php
config/nls.php
config/prefs.php
config/registry.php

RB: are the files mentioned above kolab specific?  If you look up the
directory, you'll discover that most of the files are there with an .dist
extension as well and they are dated 11 Jun 2004 (initial check in day).
The ones that have been really altered are:
conf.php, prefs.php and registry.php.  The others are exactly the same as the
ones with the .dist extension.   I don't know what horde project provides
these files.

framework/Image/package.xml
framework/Kolab/Kolab.php
framework/Net_IMAP/IMAP.php
framework/Net_IMAP/IMAPProtocol.php
framework/Net_IMAP/docs/test_IMAP.php
framework/Net_IMAP/docs/test_IMAPProtocol.php
framework/Net_IMAP/package.xml
framework/Net_LMTP/LMTP.php
framework/Net_LMTP/package.xml
framework/Net_LMTP/test_lmtp.php
framework/VC/package.xml
framework/iCalendar/iCalendar.php
framework/install-packages.php

RB: the files above are part of the new kolab-horde-framework.  Does this make
it possible to remove the
kolab-resource-handlers/kolab-resource-handlers/fbview/fbview/framework
directory?

kronolith/attendeescommon.php
kronolith/attendeeshandler.php
kronolith/config/.cvsignore
kronolith/config/conf.php
kronolith/config/html.php
kronolith/config/prefs.php
kronolith/lib/FBView/day.php
kronolith/lib/FBView/month.php
kronolith/lib/FBView/week.php
kronolith/lib/FBView/workweek.php
kronolith/locale/de_DE/LC_MESSAGES/kronolith.mo
kronolith/po/de_DE.po
kronolith/po/kronolith.pot
kronolith/savedattlist.php
kronolith/templates/attendees/attendees.inc
kronolith/templates/fbview/busyblock.tpl
kronolith/templates/weekView/linesblock.tpl

RB: all the 16 files above look kolab specific.  The kronolit directory holds
192 files.  My idea at the moment is to move all the files in the kronolith
directory, but the 16 mentioned above away to their own location (in
kolab-horde-framework maybe?).  [Looked again]: perhaps the po/de_DE.po,
po/kronolith.pot and locale/de_DE/LC_MESSAGES/kronolith.mo are common with
the kronolith project it self.

locale/de_DE/LC_MESSAGES/horde.mo
po/horde.pot
RB: files above leave untouched :)

login.php
po/de_DE.po
po/translation.php
turba/po/de_DE.po
turba/po/turba.pot
RB: not kolab related, move to their own directory in kolab-horde-framework?

Is it with this information possible to remove the directory:
kolab-resource-handlers/kolab-resource-handlers/fbview/fbview, but the kolab
related files mentioned above?

Wow, that would be spectular the kolab-resource-handler module would be
deminished from over 3300 files to 50, 60 files (this is just a gues).

One remark: at this moment there are I think 2 horde related top directories
(modules) in cvs, being horde and kolab-horde-framework.  With my proposal(s)
above their would be even more (kronolith, turba, etc).  Would it be possible
to clean up the horde directory (which is not used I assume (at least it has
not been altered in the last 2 years)).  Move the kolab-horde-framework and
the kolab-resource-handlers/kolab-resource-handlers/fbview/fbview into it?
When that would be done, kolab can provide a horde rpm.  The
kolab-resource-handlers rpm will depend on the horde rpm, but that's fine.  I
think that this seperation will lead to a much better understanding in what
is provided by kolab and what is delivered by a the 3rd project horde.  And
this move would make it possible to really finish the autoconfiscation of
kolab in the right way.

Bernhard is this what you're looking?

--
Richard Bos