[Kolab-devel] Freeze going for server 2.1.0beta

Richard Bos radoeka at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 22 20:22:40 CET 2005

Op dinsdag 22 november 2005 11:14, schreef Bernhard Reiter:
> For quite a few users, a server is needed that has the minimal
> multi-email-user capabilities of 2.1 and the stability of 2.0.x.
> So our idea is to get 2.1 into that state soon.
> This also means we will not fix all bugs for it, nor move to OpenPKG 2.5.
> Basically we are in a freeze to get Kolab Server 2.1beta out of the door.
> Our plan is to do this within the next 7 days.
> Bernhard H. is working on it.
>
> This means: Critical bug fixes only.
>                     Testing of new features and fixes that are already in
>                     and possibly fixes for them.

So in 7 days (more or less) a 2.1beta release can expected.  But after the
release, you won't release a stable version immediately.  That means the
freeze will be more than just the 7 days mentioned above.  It might run into
1 month (just till X-mas....)

Please update the roadmap webpage http://www.kolab.org/roadmap.html
It still says that 2.1 is expected in September....  It would be better to
state that it will be december...

> Do we need a development branch for this?
> I am unsure about it. Actually I do not want to spread out the development
> of the server too much as a high priority is stability. Kolab already works
> in many environments and we need to keep it this way, offering well testing
> upgrade paths.
> So my suggestion is to make the development branch, if server 2.1 can fully
> replace the 2.0.x servers.

I don't see the relation.  You could make a 2.1 branch now.  That means that
no code changes will be committed to, except for critical bugs and the like.
The 2.1 branch will be as stable as 2.0....  In the mean time HEAD will be
used for development work.  As such new development won't influence the 2.1
branch at all....  The 2.1 branch will make it easy to a 2.1.1 etc release
too...

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless