[Kolab-devel] Re: OpenLDAP performance issues

Dieter Kluenter dieter at dkluenter.de
Tue May 31 07:52:25 CEST 2005

Martin Konold <martin.konold at erfrakon.de> writes:

> Am Freitag, 20. Mai 2005 10:39 schrieb Dieter Kluenter:
>
> Hi,
>
>> 1. provide a DB_CONFIG with sufficient cachesize, as a guessing some
>>    10 MB should be sufficient, but could be increased.
>
> Where can I lookup the syntax of DB_CONFIG? Does this syntax change for minor
> updates/releases of bdb?

http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/env/db_config.html
(follow links)

>> 2. change to hdb backend, as this is optimized for search operations,
>>    but lack performance on heavy write operations.
>
> Are the configuration options compatible to bdb? Sofar we did most QA with bdb
> and I want to avoid to change the backend if possible.

Yes, see man slapd-bdb(5)

[...]
>> 7. configure clients to only search with scope one and set searchbase
>>    with appropriate DN's.
>
> Hmm,... I expected that the clients do that already.

No, an example is postfix configuration.

>> 8. add 'database monitor' for ease of monitoring statistics.
>
> Please point me to some specification/documentation. Are there any
> drawbacks?

man slapd-monitor(5), and as usual with OpenLDAP, main information
source is the source code, servers/slapd/back-monitor/
No, there are no drawbacks.
If you are going to test monitor with ldapsearch, please note that the
attributes are operational, thus the wildcard is +

>> By the way, the 'stop' in access rules is just redundant.
>
> IMHO imho it makes it more readable. Are there any disadvantages?

No disadvantages, just redundency, as stop is performed on the first
match anyhow

-Dieter

--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung