[Kolab-devel] [issue774] null senders not handled by kolabfilter and from check -> loosing emails

Bernhard Reiter kolab-issues at intevation.de
Mon May 30 17:20:00 CEST 2005

New submission from Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>:

Kolab Server 2.0-rc1 and rc2:

Emails with empty envelop from does not pass the "from header envelope check"
anymore. The reason is that postfix' pipe(8) expand the null sender to
mailer-daemon@$myorigin.

How to reproduce:
telnet kolab.server 25
mail from:<>
rcpt to:usera at kolab.server
data
from: userb at real.other.maildomain

testtext
.

See the log to see the lines like:
 postfix/pipe[636]: XXXXXXXXXXX: to=<usera at kolab.server>, relay=kolabfilter,
delay=0, status=bounced (service unavailable. Command output: Invalid From:
header. userb at real.other.maildomain does not match envelope mailer-daemon at test.hq )

Background, see this posting by Wietse:
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2001-06/0633.html
| Well, until the null sender expansion behavior is configurable that
| is the best I can do, because UUCP and other software breaks on
| null sender addresses.

So two ways out of the bug and keeping the pipe:

a) implement this option to pipe(8), Wietse probably will accept it,
default should be to replace a null sender, for the kolabmailfilter, we would
turn it off.
b) exempt mailer-daemon@$myorigin in the "from header envelope check.

To me a) seems to be the better solution, but I cannot say how much work it
would be. My guess is: Reasonable compared to b).

assignedto: steffen
messages: 4726
nosy: bernhard, martin, steffen
priority: critical
status: unread
title: null senders not handled by kolabfilter and from check -> loosing emails
topic: kkc, server