[Kolab-devel] Re: OpenLDAP performance issues

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed May 25 18:40:22 CEST 2005

Hi Dieter,

first thanks for giving us a hand here with OpenLDAP,
I really appreciate it!

On Sunday 22 May 2005 21:58, Dieter Kluenter wrote:
> Martin Konold <martin.konold at erfrakon.de> writes:

> BTW we observed the hangs independent of the write traffic!
>
> Can you present some more details?
> - database size

E.g.  onn fresh Kolab Servers.
The database is very small, well under 50 objects.

> - configuration options
Here are some that I guess are relevant:

We are using include /kolab/etc/openldap/schema/kolab2.schema amond others.
replicationinterval 5
require         none
allow           bind_v2
loglevel        0
database        bdb
checkpoint      128 10
idletimeout     25
index   objectClass     pres,eq
index   uid             approx,sub,pres,eq
index   mail            approx,sub,pres,eq
index   alias           approx,sub,pres,eq
index   cn              approx,sub,pres,eq
index   sn              approx,sub,pres,eq
index   kolabHomeServer pres,eq
index   member          pres,eq
idlcachesize       2000

several access permissions, one replica.

DB_CONFIG has
set_cachesize   0       26214400        1
set_tmp_dir /dev/shm

> - search strings

The regular kolab ones.
Binds with nobody and a long password (30 characters).

> - search frequency

I had those hangs wheren there have not been many searches around
and one f the first write operations by the kolab webadmin, caused the hang.
The hang is caused by write operations, I have not seen other cases.

> If you have added a 'database monitor' entry to slapd.conf, what is
> the output of
> ldapsearch -x -H ldap://my.host -b cn=waiters,cn=monitor -s sub +
> ldapsearch -x -H ldap://my.host -b cn=operations,cn=monitor -s sub +
>
> Please note that all attributes of cn=monitor are operational, the +
> is the wildcard for operational attributes.

I still have to do this to gather more data.
Anything that you can already say?
Could this be related to othe kernel or the filesystems?

Thanks,
Bernhard