[Kolab-devel] Re: OpenLDAP performance issues

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Sat May 21 13:24:27 CEST 2005

Am Freitag, 20. Mai 2005 10:39 schrieb Dieter Kluenter:

Hi Dieter,

> 2. change to hdb backend, as this is optimized for search operations,
>    but lack performance on heavy write operations.

Is hdb supposed to get us rid of the bdb problems?

What about tdb?

BTW:
"Not having a proper database cache size will cause performance issues. (Note:
in older versions of Berkeley DB, an improper database case size could also
cause the server to hang.)"

In general being forced to dynamically adjust database parameters for reliable
operation is imho not enterprise ready and not easily solvable by Kolab.

Why does OpenLDAP not offer to autmatically tune the DB parameters?

Dieter: Is the following FAQ entry still valid?
(Unfortunately all of these optimizations aren't always visible at the user
level, because the BDB transaction subsystem adds considerable overhead to
back-bdb. For the most part the fanatical tuning efforts in back-bdb only
bring it on par with back-ldbm in terms of performance.)

Regards,
-- martin

President next year."  -- 2004, Wally O'Dell - CEO of Diebold, Inc.
e r f r a k o n - Stuttgart, Germany