[Kolab-devel] [issue739] slapd eats all the CPU and brings server to a hault

Matt Douhan kolab-issues at intevation.de
Mon May 9 22:05:58 CEST 2005

New submission from Matt Douhan <matt at fruitsalad.org>:

modify an existing user and change the first name and the last name at the same
time and then click submit.

Watch slapd eat all avail CPU

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
52756 root     123    0   141M  4456K RUN    1   7:34 92.43% 92.43% slapd

At the same time you end up with very strange duplicates in the ldap tree

 kolab2# /kolab/sbin/slapcat | grep test
dn: cn=test testsson,dc=kontact,dc=fruitsalad,dc=org
sn: testsson
cn: test testsson
givenName: test
mail: test at kontact.fruitsalad.org
uid: test at kontact.fruitsalad.org
dn: cn=testagain testagain,dc=kontact,dc=fruitsalad,dc=org
sn: testagain
cn: testagain testagain
givenName: testagain
mail: test at kontact.fruitsalad.org
uid: test at kontact.fruitsalad.org

See how the same mail and uid exists twice? but with the new first and last
name changed in one of the entires.

stopping the server and running db_recover does not fix the issue.

I have repeated this 8 times now before logging this issue because I thought it
was me doing something wrong but the same thing repeats themselves every time.

Upgrading to RC1 does not resolve the issue, the same issue applies there.

messages: 4543
nosy: mdouhan
priority: critical
status: unread
title: slapd eats all the CPU and brings server to a hault
topic: server