[Kolab-devel] Kolab troubles under high load

Matt Douhan matt at fruitsalad.org
Mon May 2 10:17:17 CEST 2005

Hello

We are seing issues where FB generation will not work and synching IMAP
folders takes a looooong time, when the nr of emails > 5000 / hour.

With Horde installs this number dramatically decreases to about 1500-2000 /
hour.

This is running on pretty beafy IBM servers Xeon 3 Ghz, with 2500MB RAM and
fast SCSI RAID 10 triple channel I/O subsystems.

It seems like the FB generation is "dropped" by the server under high load and
the synch can take up to 1 hour for a small INBOX of about 600 emails.

I also setup a small test env, with a kolab server and a DB backend on a
second machine that sends a 200k attachment to a randomly selected kolab user
every 2 seconds, then I start n number of these testscripts, and it does not
take long before the server chokes.

I also tested the same onto a exim frontend server we use that also runs
amavaisd / clamscan, and it can handle the same load easily so I am wondering
if the kolab filter, may be the culprit here, is there a way to bypass the
kolab filter and still keep functionality? or at lest bypass for testing
purposes to see what is going on?

rgds
Matt

--