[Kolab-devel] btw, an intro to why i'm suddenly here =P

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jun 27 18:28:13 CEST 2005

On Monday 27 June 2005 01:37, Martin Konold wrote:
> > it's prominently displayed (front and center) on the first page people
> > see, the log in screen.
>
> You mean the logo?

the logo and the catch phrase "The Open Source Groupware Solution" .. both of
which are linked to the About page.

> > i don't see the need to add yet another tab to the web
> > interface
>
> This tab is the "about dialog" which is common in many applications.

yes, but it's in the wrong place. it's like putting "About Kontact" in
kontact's toolbar.

> > around to collapsing the administrators and maintainers tabs into one
> > tab/page as well. but yeah, the tabs should be there for functionality.
>
> I am afraid that you sofar have not understood the idea of
> adminstrators/maintainers/users.

erm, no, i understand the difference between these quite well. there's still
no reason for two tabs, one for managing administrators and one for managing
maintainers. one page should be able to handle both and show the appropriate
management facilities based upon the privelege level of the user. right now
the implementation details are reflected nearly 1:1 in the interface and that
results in a a large number of tabs which means taking up more space on
screen than necessary and presenting an interface that looks more difficult
than necessary.

> > once i figure out how to create a standard footer for use with smarty
> > (haven't really looked into it yet) then i'll add a kolab link at the
> > bottom of the regualr admin pages as well.
>
> You mean a link to www.kolab.org?

no, a link to the local About page.

> > or taking up room in
> > the tabs. you get to the credits page by clicking the prominent kolab
> > logo or the link on the login page.
>
> No, this is not enough.  IMHO the credits must be easily accessible without
> internet access.

it links to the About page, aka the credits. you don't need internet access
for that.

> Basically your argument is following the old BSD/GPL reasonings.... I am
> aware of these....

if by "BSD/GPL reasonings" you are refering to allowing companies to close the
source, that isn't at all what i'm refering to. branding and marketing is not
necessarily related to the status of source availability and re-contribution.
i'm not advocating that companies should take kolab and withhold their
contributions and not give anything back; rather i'm looking at how one can
encourage the adoption of this software by regional consultancies by
providing co-marketing oppportunities that are accepted within this
community.

> > btw, where do kolab marketting discussions take place?
>
> Currently still on Kolab development coordination <kolab-devel at kolab.org>

whew! so i'm not contributing noise to the wrong place, but noise to right
place ;)

btw, who manages the copy and structure of the website on kolab.org?

--
Aaron J. Seigo