[Kolab-devel] btw, an intro to why i'm suddenly here =P

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Mon Jun 27 09:37:17 CEST 2005

Am Sonntag, 26. Juni 2005 19:52 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:

Hi,

> it's prominently displayed (front and center) on the first page people see,
> the log in screen.

You mean the logo?

> i don't see the need to add yet another tab to the web
> interface

This tab is the "about dialog" which is common in many applications.

> around to collapsing the administrators and maintainers tabs into one
> tab/page as well. but yeah, the tabs should be there for functionality.

I am afraid that you sofar have not understood the idea of
adminstrators/maintainers/users.

In short: The many options/tabs are only available to the manager. Depending
on the group membership of the user logging into the web administration gui
the number of available tabs changes.

In case you are targeting the really small markets it is maybe best if you
remove the administrator/maintainers tab entirely.

You mean a link to www.kolab.org?

> > I don't see the obvious reason why it is a good idea to remove the name
> > Kolab from the admin interface entirely?
>
> well it isn't. it's just not at the top of every page

I am fine with this. I don't see a need for having the Kolab logo on every
page.

> or taking up room in
> the tabs. you get to the credits page by clicking the prominent kolab logo
> or the link on the login page.

No, this is not enough.  IMHO the credits must be easily accessible without
internet access.

> credits are still there, just not prominently linked at the top of every
> page. it's nice to get recognition and have your company name trotted out,
> but the way it's done in the default admin is a bit over the top and
> interferes with the user experience.

Please be more specific here. BTW I am fine with renaming "About Kolab" with
"Help" and having the "About Kolab" as a sub menu.

> want to see kolab's install base grow large and quickly, then it may be
> wise to throw companies that focus on the SMB market a bone to encourage
> them to use it and move it out. in this particular case kolab loses
> absolutely nothing, including name recognition due to how the login page is
> structured, and gains additional user base AND marketing base (in the form
> of a company actively promoting kolab to businesses in their region).

Basically your argument is following the old BSD/GPL reasonings.... I am aware
of these....

> btw, where do kolab marketting discussions take place?

Currently still on Kolab development coordination <kolab-devel at kolab.org>

Regards,
-- martin

--
   Groupware Challenge 13. Juli 2005
   Drei Konzepte - Drei Systeme - Eine Veranstaltung