[Kolab-devel] kolab2 dependencies/integration

Richard Bos radoeka at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 21 22:08:28 CEST 2005

Op dinsdag 21 juni 2005 21:41, schreef Gunnar Wrobel:
> If you use the newer releases of openldap, postfix, amavisd etc. you
> will only have to apply two minor patches. One to cyrus-imapd and the
> other one to mod_auth_ldap.

For cyrus there are 3 patches and for apache 1 indeed.  But the latter is for
apache1 while many distro's are providing apache2 nowadays...

More about the patches at:
http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Kolab-major-app-patches

It would be great of the cyrus patches could be made available upstream, but
sofar all effort to make this possible did not work out :(
Hopefully, it will be possible now after kolab2 got released???

> Then there are two packages that glue the other services together:
> perl-kolab and kolabd. But both can be converted to other distributions
> without too much effort.

perl-kolab has been ported, the only thing needed is to make a gentoo specific
file in the directory dist_conf....  (see other email in this discussion).
kolabd is being ported by Marcus, well he just started so not much is
available.

> The other two kolab specific packages are two web applications which
> should easily integrate into other distributions.

kolab-webadmin has been ported.  For gentoo you're a missing a file in the
dist_conf director....

> > How difficult would it be, now that Kolab2 has been released, to extract
> > only the Kolab specific changes/patches ( if any ), and provide a
> > non-openpkg distribution? OpenXchange does this to good effect, I don't
> > see why Kolab do the same.  Of course installation and configuration of
> > Kolab without using the openpkg tools may be difficult, but it really
> > should be an option.
>
> I think this is now in the hands of people that desperately want Kolab
> to run on another distro to invest the time into converting the code
> instead of requesting this from the kolab core team.
>
> I am working on a Gentoo version right now. There is an overview
> available here (http://www.gunnarwrobel.de/projects/Kolab.html). These
> are just my notes on the conversion process and they are certainly not
> complete. But maybe they help you to convert kolab to your favorite distro.

Hopefully you can join the people currently looking into porting kolab in a
general and not specific for 1 distro?

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless