[Kolab-devel] kolabd eats memory

Maximilian Winkler maximilian.winkler at fh-deggendorf.de
Thu Jun 16 16:47:24 CEST 2005

Hi,

we are running Kolab2 successfully in a production environment
(university campus). It was working without any problems for three month
with about 60 users (we do not use much groupware stuff, just simple
emailing).

As of June, we have about 2500 users in our ldap. Ok, we were hit by
some ldap crashes first when we had a lot of entries to write. Ldap
performance could be improved by indexing and tweaking the cache (as the
Kolab team suggested).

After the cyrus mailboxes.db crashed several times, we changed to the
skiplist database format which is much more robust as BDB. We also
integrated Maia Mailgard (http://www.renaissoft.com/projects/maia/)
which is a great software for spam and virus management.

Yesterday (after 2 weeks of kolab uptime), the kolabd process consumed
about 40 % of available RAM (which is actually 2 GB). The system started
swapping to the hard disk, which was no fun (much RAM was needed for
apache processes -> squirrelmail). I had to do /etc/init.d/ kolab stop

Any ideas why kolabd eats so much memory?

with kind regards,
Maximilian Winkler

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Maximilian Winkler
FH Deggendorf - University of Applied Sciences
Rechenzentrum - Computer center
Edlmairstr. 6 + 8; 94469 Deggendorf
Germany