[Kolab-devel] IMAP ACL using a distributionlist

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jun 6 12:21:15 CEST 2005

On Sunday 05 June 2005 23:32, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 5. Juni 2005 23:31 schrieb Till Adam:

> > > --> the  burden of prefixing the ACL can be put on the Kolab client
> > > instead of the user.

But then we would need to put it on all Kolab clients.
Currently it is good for users that Outlook/Toltec and Kontact
work the same regarding this.

> > Yeah, but how do we figure out whether the added email address represents
> > a dl or a user, short of an LDAP query (which requires online server
> > access)?
>
> Simply decide upon syncing(*) to the Kolab server which implies access to
> the server ;-)
>
> There is no urgent need to know this information when entering the ACL in
> the dialog.

From the usability point of view, it would be very good to know
what can be entered in the ACL dialog, best if completion options are
offered.  I guess this is even more important then to hide the "group:"
prefix.

Overall I do think that the effort needed (and the risk breaking other stuff)
is too much for the gain at this point. We have bigger fish to fry.