[Kolab-devel] Re: OpenLDAP performance issues

Dieter Kluenter dieter at dkluenter.de
Sat Jun 4 18:54:54 CEST 2005

Hi Martin,

Martin Konold <martin.konold at erfrakon.de> writes:

> Am Dienstag, 31. Mai 2005 07:52 schrieb Dieter Kluenter:
>
> Hi Dieter,
>
>> > Where can I lookup the syntax of DB_CONFIG? Does this syntax change for
>> > minor updates/releases of bdb?
>>
>> http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/env/db_config.html
>> (follow links)
>
> Sorry, this URL only described  the C-API but not to the syntax of the
> DB_CONFIG configuration file.

OK, than start from here
http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/env/intro.html

>> > Hmm,... I expected that the clients do that already.
>>
>> No, an example is postfix configuration.
>
> hmm,... please provide a patch which does not change the semantics
> of Kolab.

It is hard to provide patches for kolab_smtpdpolicy and
main.cf.template, as I don't know exactly were some required entries
are stored, i.e. ldapdistlist and a few others.
But imagine having a DIT structure that not only contains kolab
objects but samba objects and dns objects as well. A scope of
subentree would search the whole database, if the search base is
declared as 'dc=myDomain,dc=tld'
Where ever possible, try to declare the appropriate subtree as search
base, i.e. cn=internal,dc=myDomain,dc=tld if applicable.

>> > Please point me to some specification/documentation. Are there any
>> > drawbacks?
>>
>> man slapd-monitor(5), and as usual with OpenLDAP, main information
>> source is the source code, servers/slapd/back-monitor/
>> No, there are no drawbacks.
>> If you are going to test monitor with ldapsearch, please note that the
>> attributes are operational, thus the wildcard is +
>
> Hmm,... we already compile with "--enable-monitor". So we only need to add an
> appropriate ACL?

Yes, a database declaration and moderate read access rules, as write
operations up to now only apply to loglevel changes, this might not be
desired

> Please review my last commit to CVS.

I just run an update :-)

-Dieter