[Kolab-devel] Re: Proposal: Encourage downloading kolab from mirrors in a nicer way

Sascha Wilde wilde at intevation.de
Thu Jun 2 13:10:45 CEST 2005

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 12:38:13AM +0200, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 1. Juni 2005 08:57 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:

> > Can you be more specific about what is conceptually broken with issue383?
> > This is not quite the same topic as "ftp.kolab.org",
> > but about the comfort of obmtool.conf,
> > so I cannot relate from your previous comments.
>
> It is conceptually broken to ask people "to copy the URL in
> obmtool.conf to a webbrowser and use one of the URLs on the
> resulting page for $URL."
>
> This would be horrible from a usability point of view.

I agree that this isn't the nicest possible solution (I wouldn't call
it "conceptually broken", though).

In fact, I suggested modifying obmtool to retrieve a list of known
up-to-date mirrors from a master server, and than ask the user which
one to use.

Thomas liked it, but pointed out, that rc2 is not the right point to
make such a not trivial feature change to obmtool.  I agree with him
on this point.

Maybe this is the way to go, but I would do it _after_ the release.
In the meantime I think that making the user change one line in a
config file he has to edit anyway to make it download the files,
telling him exactly where to find the information he needs, isn't
_that_ bad at all.

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde                                 Intevation GmbH

wilde at intevation.de                          intevation at intevation.de
http://www.intevation.de/~wilde/             http://www.intevation.de/