[Kolab-devel] Re: Proposal: Encourage downloading kolab from mirrors in a nicer way

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Thu Jun 2 00:41:35 CEST 2005

Am Mittwoch, 1. Juni 2005 10:10 schrieb Thomas Arendsen Hein:

Hi,

> 1. This will put the load on one mirror instead of many.
>
> 2. This requires this mirror (or all mirrors in case of DNS round
>    robin) to use a different path than they now do (except
>    fruitsalad.org)
>
> 3. This server needs to support ftp protocol, otherwise the name
>    would be misleading. Currently only ftp.belnet.be qualifies for
>    this.

The solution is to use relatively short DNS TTL together with http not ftp and
last but not least an "uptodate verification" script which controls the DNS
round-robin.

As said many time before there is no actual need for ftp as long as http is
available except for some strange setups where people are denied http access
to the internet in favour of being allowed ftp.

-- martin

President next year."  -- 2004, Wally O'Dell - CEO of Diebold, Inc.
e r f r a k o n - Stuttgart, Germany