[Kolab-devel] Kolab: Cyrus replication HA option

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Sat Jul 23 10:13:37 CEST 2005

Am Samstag 23 Juli 2005 00:19 schrieb Kevin Baker:

Hi,

> Well, I would love it if this wasn't the case. But it has
> been said directly by developers on both this list and the
> cyrus developer list. So I have always avoided it. I'll go
> digging for the threads so maybe we could clarify this.

You seem to be confused.

In short SAN (e.g. iSCSI or FC) is totally fine. Actually a proper SAN can
lead to excellent data throughput and availablity while costing a fortune.

Shared Storage e.g. via dual host SCSI controlled by Heartbeart is also fine.

NAS (e.g. NFS or CIFS) is problematic due to the plain fact that especially
NFS is NOT POSIX compliant. You may have good results with Network Appliance
NetApp Filers and proper NFS Client setup but you will fail with FreeBSD or
Linux based NFS servers.

Regards,
-- martin

--