[Kolab-devel] change of ldap syntax was: [issue839] problem when kolabHomeServer is missing

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Thu Jul 21 23:02:09 CEST 2005

Am Mittwoch 13 Juli 2005 11:27 schrieb Dieter Kluenter:

Hi Dieter,

> > Please provide a diff -Naur to our current CVS version and post it here
> > for review.
>
> I would like to discuss the idea first.
> In kolab2.schema there are a few attributes like kolabFreeBusyFuture
> and kolabFreeBusyPast with syntax integer
> (1.3.6.1.4.1.1.1466.115.121.1.27). Integer, by definition, is a string
> of digits and the syntax has no ordering rules. I would recommend to
> change syntax to numeric String (1.3.6.1.4.1.1.1466.115.121.1.36),
> which is defined as an string of digits and may have spaces. The
> advantage ist that numeric string provides ordering rules and
> substring matching rules (numericStringOrderingMatch,
> numericStringSubstringsMatch), which would it make possible to search
> for ordered values like more than ..., less than...

What is the benefit of beeing allowed to have spaces in integers? On the other
hand according to my knowledge it is possible to use integers as ordered
values.

What about the following from RFC3698:

"The integerOrderingMatch rule compares the ordering of the asserted
integer with an attribute value of INTEGER syntax.  The rule returns
True if the attribute value is less than the asserted value. (Source:
X.520)

( 2.5.13.15 NAME 'integerOrderingMatch'
       SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.27 )

The INTEGER (1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.27) syntax is described in
  [RFC2252]."

Actually I think that the ordering would be wrong with
numericStringOrderingMatch.

E.g. I think we would get

0
1013
120
236
348
4

instead of

0
4
120
236
348
1013

> The same applies to generalized Time syntax, the syntax allows
> ordering rules, thus I would like to add the rule
> generalizedTimeOrderingMatch to the appropriate attributes.
> Any comments?

I am fine with the additional generalizedTimeOrderingMatch rule.

Regards,
-- martin
e r f r a k o n - Stuttgart, Germany
== the designers of Kolab Groupware www.kolab.org ==