[Kolab-devel] Stable Web Client

Stuart K Bingë omicron-list at mighty.co.za
Thu Jan 27 12:17:27 CET 2005

On Wednesday, 26 January 2005 20:31, Andreas Gungl wrote:
> On Wednesday, 26 January 2005 13:03, Stuart K Bingë wrote:
> > Unfortuantely there is still a reason the webclient is marked
> > "experimental", however I am currently working to resolve the outstanding
> > issues and get it up to speed.
>
> FYI, I filed some bug reports against the Horde bug tracker
> (bugs.horde.org). They all have "kolab" in the summary, so it's easy to
> search for and track them.

Thanks for your help here, Andreas.

> These are mainly basic issues like getting the current Horde CVS sources
> working at all, be able to handle events, tasks, notes. There aren't more
> sophisticated issues yet, like shared resource folders, multiple own
> resource folders, distribution lists and so on.

As it stands there are 9 outstanding issues with the webclient as listed on
the Horde tracker (that I'm aware of, at least): #678, #699, #866, #1218,
#1219, #1220, #1234, #1236 and #1253.

#678 and #699 appear to be the same problem; these are what I've been working
on the past week.

> As far as changes against can be made, I wonder if you, Stuart, can at
> least fix the ACL issue in CVS and add the necessary modifications for
> hooks.php and within the Horde configuration module (on the data tree tab)
> to the webclient.html on www.kolab.org.
> Given that you have CVS accounts for both systems, this would take a few
> minutes only to let all others profit from a basically working Horde
> frontend setup for Kolab 2. If you can't afford that time, I volunteer for
> modifying the installation howto on www.kolab.org to reflect the current
> state.

Many of the problems people are encountering with the webclient appear to stem
from the install guide, so yes, it would be a good idea to update it. I will
do so this afternoon.

> Additionally I would propose to simplify the hooks.php setup by providing a
> hooks.php.kolab file containing only those hooks needed for Kolab. They
> should be uncommented so that "cp hooks.php.kolab hooks.php" would be the
> trick. Of course, this would have to fit into the Horde philosophy.

As Jan said, this has been resolved now.

> Best regards,
> Andreas
>
> PS. Any feedback about ongoing Horde development for Kolab 2 is
> appreciated. I've been watching the Horde cvs archive for two weeks now.
> But there hasn't been even one Kolab related change.

Contrary to my Horde CVS activities I have been working on the webclient this
past week. I've been trying to resolve the shared resources bug locally and
it's turned into quite a nightmare to hunt down (Issues 678 and 699).

From my attempts to fix this issue I've uncovered a bug in the way Horde hooks
are called (_horde_hook_share_init() gets called, but not
_horde_hook_share_modify()); this appears to be causing a lot of the existing
problems. Seeing as though I'm not sure when this entire issue will be
resolved I'll commit a fix for this in the meantime, which may help sort out
several of the other problems.

I've also written a patch to fix issue #1220 so far, but have not committed it
just yet. You can read why and download the patch from
<http://lists.horde.org/archives/dev/Week-of-Mon-20050124/017024.html> if
you'd like.

Cheers,
--