[Kolab-devel] Backup for cyrus (even /kolab)

Hamish lists at subvs.co.uk
Tue Jan 18 16:19:54 CET 2005

Hi all
I have found this snippet for backing up cyrus and modified it to suit,
I am not sure of one thing though: Will received mail stay in the
postfix queue while cyrus is down, then get put in mailboxes once it is
back up? (no email will be lost or undeliverable).
Also, I am currently backing up the entire /kolab directory, which I am
sure is unneccessary, but safe at least. (I assume the only changes to
the host OS are the addition of kolab and kolab_r users, is this
correct?) - In the event of cataclysmic failure, a new host could have
the users added, the /etc/init.d/kolab initscript added and the /kolab
directory rsynced into place? (or even the disk swapped with the backup)

Here is the script for rsync to backup the whole kolab directory:

#!/bin/bash

BACKUPLOC=user at host:/mnt/kolab-backup
# Make an unstable copy of the mail files on the fly (to speed things up
later)
rsync -a --delete /kolab /$BACKUPLOC

# Shut down cyrus
/kolab/bin/openpkg/rc imapd stop
# should everything be shut down? maybe shut them down only as needed?

# Make a stable copy of the files (should be quicker now, only changes)
rsync -a --delete /kolab /$BACKUPLOC

# Start cyrus back up
/kolab/bin/openpkg/rc imapd start

# Once this is done, the files can be gzipped or tar'd, i prefer
# to leave this out, so that the backup disk can just be thrown
# straight into the main server if needed.

Please tell me what you think of this, any suggestions welcome.
Thanks,