[Kolab-devel] bootstrapping on Slackware

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jan 17 19:13:01 CET 2005

On Monday 17 January 2005 14:44, Jim Philips wrote:
> On Monday 17 January 2005 08:18 am, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > On Monday 17 January 2005 13:47, Jim Philips wrote:
> > > I successfully built Kolab 2.0 beta 2, but it refuses to bootstrap.
> > > Here is the message:
> > >
> > > OpenPKG 2.2-SOLID Binary Bootstrap Package, version 2.2.1
> > > Built for prefix /kolab on target platform ix86-slackware10.0.0
> > > ++ hooking OpenPKG instance into system environment
> > > WARNING: you are not running one of the supported standard
> > > WARNING: Linux platforms (Debian, RedHat, Mandrake, SuSE, Gentoo).
> > > WARNING: Guessing the location of the system init scripts!
> > > ERROR: Failed to guess the location of the system init scripts!
> > > obmtool:ERROR: bootstrapping failed
> > >
> > > Anyway I can get this to work? Or are there any plans to support
> > > Slackware?
> >
> > Note that this part of the Kolab server is based on Openpkg,
> > thus this is a question for the openpkg people.
> > Of course you can work around this somehow,
> > again I guess that you get more help about this from the
> > openpkg people.
>
> Bzzzt! I was hoping I would be able to install Kolab without contacting
> every maintainer of every software involved. That may not be necessary, but
> this is a bad precedent. It would be awfully nice if you put up a warning
> to Slackware users on the Kolab home page that you simply don't support
> their distro.

Hey that is not nice,
because of the use of OpenPKG; we can offer support
about 15-18 different platforms and of course we like to have more.
Most people here on this list got Kolab-Server running
with information they have found here or from openpkg.
Even more, this is volenteer driving effort.

> I will explore alternatives to Kolab before I try to contact
> Openpkg people.

Searching their mailinglists is cheap, just because I wanted to give
you a fast way to help yourself I get "bzzt"ed. :(