[Kolab-devel] kolab hostname: ips don't work?

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Sun Feb 6 14:27:21 CET 2005

Am Sonntag, 6. Februar 2005 10:00 schrieb Jochen Staerk:

Hi Jochen,

> >Hmm,... why using an IP? Kolab heavily depends on having a fully working
> > DNS available.
>
> OK, my situation was that this is on a dedicated server. You're probably
> right and I could have set my DNS-Server to the server's IP, but I was
> just used to not-use-domain-names because this of course was my test
> server and most domains were assigned to the productive system.

If I understand you correctly you wanted to avoid DNS because you did not want
that the test server does interfere with your regular email configuration.

Provided this is the case I can assure you that for a simple test case you
don't need advanced stuff like MX record.

A plain A record connecting the IP address and the DNS name is fully
sufficient for a kolab test setup. Basically in this case you choose that the
mail domain is _identical_ to the hostname of the testing machine.

Regards,
-- martin

President next year."  -- 2004, Wally O'Dell - CEO of Diebold, Inc.
e r f r a k o n - Stuttgart, Germany