[Kolab-devel] [issue1043] Kolab missing the concept of "email aliases"

Fabio Pietrosanti lists at pietrosanti.it
Fri Dec 30 13:01:53 CET 2005

Martin Konold ha scritto:

>Technically I consider mailman to be more advanced but the language issue
>remains. Though python is a mature language and I can easily imagine to use
>it in more places.

Let me say to consider the sympa mailing list manager
http://www.sympa.org which is very stable (they are 5.1 release),
written in perl, well integrated into ldap and with very advanced
features such as "Dynamic Mailing List" and "S/MIME Mailing List".

Integrated with ldap in two ways i'm going to describe:

1) Ldap autentication
     Kolab users would be able to authenticate directly on sympa web
admin interface using their password. In that way sympa webadmin
interface functionality could be integrated directly within kolab
webadmin interface. (It also support administration trough SOAP!)

2) Single Sign On
    Allow very easy integration within other web framework of the sympa
webadmin interface.

3) Dynamic Mailing List
    I just added to the Sympa integration of the Kolab's Wiki the
support of Dynamic Mailing List.
    Dynamic Mailing Lists are a special kind of lists managed by sympa
that use as a "source" for the "subscribed users" an ldap backend.
    I already used the "Distribution List" of Kolab on a specific domain
for Dynamic Mailing List, managed by sympa so i don't need to access
sympa web interface but i can managed subscribed users directly from the
kolab webadmin interface.
   I added the dynamic mailing lists feature to  the wiki at the end of
the page:
http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Sympa_Mlist_Manager_Integration_Howto

>How much integration of mailman into Kolab should we aim for?

Which are the main reasons to use mailman?

Imho we should do a comparison of the various mailing lists managers to
find out which is the better choice for the kolab strategy. (obviously i
find out very well integrated and working sympa...) :>

Fabio