[Kolab-devel] [issue1043] Kolab missing the concept of "email aliases"

Fabio Pietrosanti / Khamsa SA kolab-issues at intevation.de
Fri Dec 23 15:24:39 CET 2005

New submission from Fabio Pietrosanti / Khamsa SA <kolab at khamsa.ch>:

It would be very helpfull to be able to create email aliases within kolab and
change the name of "Distribution List".
DL are only groups of emails used for authorization within Cyrus ACL shared
folder support and are not used for mailing.
IMHO they should be called "Groups", because the concept of "Groups" is applied
to an authorization scenario.

Most email usage require the availability to create email aliases.
I don't mean email aliases of a single users but an email address behind that
there are several internal/external users.

Example: info at company.com directed to user1 at company.com, user2 at company2.com,
pr at company3.com

Another situation is when you have several email domains which have a
common "user" part, like "sales@" or "development@" but which point to only 1
mailbox address.

So email alias management in the sense of "an email address which forward
emails to several internal and/or external users".

It could be confused as a mailing list, but mailing lists have other rich
features such as subscription, moderation, authorization, archival and are
managed by special software like Sympa or Mailman.

We can refer to that feature as "email group aliases" but imho it's not the
right definition.

IMHO it should be a standard account without any mailbox or with a flag stating
that's an email aliases.

messages: 6139
nosy: khamsa
priority: feature
status: unread
title: Kolab missing the concept of "email aliases"