[Kolab-devel] Submitting Patches

Bernhard Reiter bernhard.reiter at intevation.de
Sun Dec 18 20:23:50 CET 2005

Am Samstag, 10. Dezember 2005 15:49 schrieb Richard Bos:
> Op zaterdag 10 december 2005 13:02, schreef Bernhard Reiter:

> > Technically there are two ways to avoid a patch getting bigger:
> > * make a patch depending on the first one, because you have made
> > a copy on each patch creation
> > * use a branch and non-branch tags, so patches ca always be
> >  generated and be the same, and keep on adding on top of this.
>
> As the cvs commit rate is low I only want to provide 1 patch.  So it is not
> a technical reason, the patch keeps growing...

This is the wrong strategy, a patch goes in a lot faster when it is small
in the sense that it only addresses one change that another developer
can understand, check and then commit or ask for improvement.

> > Actually opening an issue makes sure the patch is not forgotten
> > and (as written in my other email), one issue per feature can have
> > several patches and we can talk about the relations of these.
>
> It's a method, I have to admit.  Perhaps put it in an FAQ ;)  Make sure
> someone is pointed to FAQ to create an issue as soon as an patch is
> provided via email.

We do not have that many people submitting patches yet,
but you are right that once we get asked this a lot,
we need a page describing how to best help the development process
and get patches in.

Bernhard