[Kolab-devel] Contributing patches, Checking for POSIX compatibility

Richard Bos radoeka at xs4all.nl
Sat Dec 10 16:19:11 CET 2005

Op zaterdag 10 december 2005 12:37, schreef Bernhard Reiter:
> Note that my whole communication about who to submit patches
> aims at making this most easy to get them in.
>
> Getting the overview is helping a lot,
> this is why I would ideally have one issue per feature that supposed
> to be changed by a patch and all the discussion about the patch in there.
> It might even be that an improved patch is attached which
> does the same thing, only better.
>
> Maybe this is still not enough and we have to think about how to do this
> even better. Maybe habe a "patch" topic or a seperate class in the issue
> tracker.

It is okay, actually it is good.  But what is important is, that as soon as
someone provides a patch via email (private or ML), the provider should
_immediately_ be told to open an issue.  Otherwise emails are sent discussing
the patch, while the tracker should be used for that.

> >  > As for checking POSIX compatibility: You can get the POSIX specs
> > online.
> >
> > Okay show me the address....  I read that for the POSIX standard one has
> > to pay a vast amount of money....
>
> I mentioned POSIX, because we had problems
> with this particular part of the shell script you were pointing out
> on non GNU/Linux operating systems.
> Maybe this is a missunderstanding:
> It is not keeping this particular patch back, it is a generall advise when
> changing a shell script.

I keep (kept) portability already in mind.

> I have found that you can get the current standards as electronic
> documents without further costs when registering.
> http://www.unix.org/version3/

Right, but I don't want to register and study the posix standards for a small
change (though it might have negative impact when wrong of course).  We
either agree together to put it in (as I proved it worked on 4 different
OS-es), or we keep the ugly construction (that proved to work)...

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless