[Kolab-devel] Re: What is the policy for the ChangeLog file?

Richard Bos radoeka at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 8 21:36:46 CET 2005

Op donderdag 8 december 2005 12:36, schreef Bernhard Reiter:
> > The ChangeLog is distributed and installed in the doc directory.  cvs/svn
> > logs and diff aren't.  That is another point of using the ChangeLog file.
>
> It would be possible to create the changelog during packaging,

No that does not work.  The ChangeLog should be updated with every cvs update.
as developer one should should just add something on top on the ChangeLog
summurazing the changes made to the module.  That way the ChangeLog is
created and automatically kept up to date.

> like other files which are distributed, but not held in the repository
> directly.
>
> > I use svn and there is still a ChangeLog needed...  See above, the
> > ChangeLog file is distributed, as such it is an easy way for your
> > (paying) customers what has changed where precisely...
>
> Usually a changelog is too detailed to be of any use,
> except for a developer.

Than the ChangeLog is not made correctly.  Anyway have a look at the ChangeLog
that Marcus and me maintain and you see what I mean.
Did you look at that one already:
http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/server/kolabd/kolabd/ChangeLog?rev=1.5&only_with_tag=MAIN&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Or just try out:
ls -ltr $(locate ChangeLog)
In my case it comes up with 241 files....

> Customers sometimes  have the needs to look stuff up in there,
> but they also find methods to access the repository.

The ChangeLog would be a good start, as it summarizes which files has been
changed when, and what.

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless