[Kolab-devel] LDAP DN reorganization.

Elliot Otchet elliot at otchet.net
Wed Aug 3 21:34:01 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm relatively new to the Kolab development world, and I'm really impressed
with the amount of work completed in this project.

As I've been looking through the code base and reviewing my Kolab 2
installation, I've come across an issue with LDAP.  It seems that Kolab 2
uses the First Name and Last Name attributes to compose the base cn
attribute of an entry's distinguished name (DN).  In my experience, this
presents a challenge (and a kolab UI error) when you have two people with
the same names.  Here in the States, that can be a common problem.  Is their
a commonly known drawback in other areas of Kolab2 to use the unique ID
attribute for the DN?  Since UIDs must be unique, we could avoid name
collisions in the cn=internal branch of the tree.

Thanks,

Elliot