[Kolab-devel] Upgrading to db 4.3

Dieter Kluenter dieter at dkluenter.de
Tue Aug 2 20:51:39 CEST 2005

Hi,

Bernhard Herzog <bh at intevation.de> writes:

> we're currently preparing the 2.0.1 release of the kolab server.  The
> most important change there will be the move to OpenPKG 2.4.  Among
> other things this means an upgrade of the Berkeley DB to version 4.3.
> So far it seems that this part of the upgrade has the most potential for
> Problems.
>
> There have been suggestions that 4.3 may not be a good choice for
> openldap in a mail by Dieter Kluenter:
> http://kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-users/2005-May/002582.html
> It's not quite clear to me, though, whether
> "LDBM is definitly NO choice, nor will be BerkeleyDB-4.3.27."
> means that bdb 4.3 should not be used or merely that it wouldn't solve
> the stability problem (the comment was about a message in issue707 which
> is about openldap stability).

I have done some moderate testing with OpenLDAP-2.3.4 and
BerkeleyDB-4.3.28. (some 20K entries, 3 subtrees, 1 search
operation per second and 1 write operation per minute, 6 hours). These
tests succeeded with no errors. I have not tested 2.2.27 though.
With regard to Kolab, OpenLDAP-2.2.27 and BerkelyDb-4.3.28, there
might still be some locking problems, as Quanah reported some issues
on openldap-software mailinglist.
I will set up a 2.2.27 test environment with 4.3.28 and rerun my test.
The environment will be x86_64, 1GB RAM, SuSE-9.3.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung
http://www.dkluenter.de