[Kolab-devel] Upgrading to db 4.3

Bernhard Herzog bh at intevation.de
Tue Aug 2 16:29:56 CEST 2005

Buchan Milne <bgmilne at obsidian.co.za> writes:

> AFAIK, most OpenLDAP developers haven't been happy with 4.3.27, 4.3.28
> may be better, but none of the developers have yet noted that it is any
> better. I haven't yet tried myself ...

Thanks for the info.  I've googled a bit on this now.  Some of the
results are the following mails (one even from this very list :) ):

http://www.kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-devel/2005-May/003598.html

   Upgrading to BerkeleyDb-4.3.27 is not advised yet as there are some
   locking issues with transactional logs, patches have been provided to
   Sleepycat.

I don't know whether that may have changed in 4.3.28 which we would be
using in 2.0.1.

   You cannot use BDB 4.3 to load databases past a few million entries
   into OpenLDAP.  The way BDB handles logs changed enormously between
   BDB 4.2 and BDB 4.3, and its log management is not stable, often
   running out of space.  In addition, numerous users have written the
   OpenLDAP list complaining of issues they've hit using BDB 4.3 with
   OpenLDAP 2.2.  The solution was for them to move back to BDB
   4.2.52+patches.

One the whole there seems to no reason to upgrade bdb to 4.3 and some
reasons to stick with 4.2.  OTOH, 4.3 is the version used in both
OpenPKG 2.3 and 2.4 and we need to upgrade to 2.4 to benefit from
security updates from OpenPKG.

> BTW, what OpenLDAP version would be included?

OpenLDAP 2.2.27

   Bernhard

--
Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/