[Kolab-devel] Problems with Cyrus and Folder Names

Joon Radley joon at radleys.co.za
Wed Apr 6 06:57:23 CEST 2005

Hi all,

The problem is in the function mboxname_policycheck and in particular the
definition of GOODCHAR. To fix this seems simple, either add the problem
characters to GOODCHAR or modify the mboxname_policycheck function to allow
the encoding of ASCII chanters. The first one seems to be the best of the
two options, but I have no idea why the test is done with such a small
number of characters and secondly if the Cyrus developers will accept a
changes to this variable.

> Do we have any technical alternatives?

There is one of two options. Either use a custom encoding of characters or
modify the server.

The custom encoding will break all existing IMAP4 clients as regards to
mailbox names and the server option can introduce unknown and hard to track
bug issues in Cyrus.

This is rather a crucial issue and needs to be resolved as soon as we can.
So could I ask that we discuss this for one more day and then take a vote.

Best regards

Joon Radley
Radley Network Technologies CC
Cell: +27 (0)83 368 8557