[Kolab-devel] Non-unique UIDs

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Tue Sep 28 12:43:30 CEST 2004

Am Montag, 27. September 2004 08:41 schrieb Bo Thorsen:

Hi Bo,

> On Sunday 26 September 2004 22:55, Martin Konold wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 24. September 2004 11:44 schrieb Joon Radley:

> > > I use the IMAP4 UID for that synchronization.  I only

> > Hmm,.. the usage of IMAP UID looks fishy to me because you cannot
> > depend entirely on this UID. On one hand this UID might be reused

Joon: Is there any issue?

> > Bo: What is the required syntax for uids for libical?
>
> There is no syntax, AFAIK. It will handle any string - it's only used for
> string comparisons. But it won't do anything to the string when sending
> it as part of an invitation schedule mail, so I guess it should be
> printable ASCII chars.

What about prefixing the ical UID with the uid of the creator (e.g. the LDAP
UID)? This should make ical UID globally unique.

Regards,
-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold

e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de