[Kolab-devel] Re: Non-unique UIDs

Bo Thorsen bo at sonofthor.dk
Fri Sep 24 11:24:42 CEST 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 11:09, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> > Currently, KOrganizer has a very basic assumption that an event must
> > have a unique UID.
>
> Yes, UIDs have to be *globally* unique, i.e. across all computers and
> users.
>
> > Now consider this scenario:
> >
> > 1) Secretary and Boss both agree on a meeting invitation and get the
> > event stored in the calendar folders.
> >
> > 2) Boss gives access to his calendar folder to the secretary.
> >
> > 3) Secretary now has two folders that contain an event with identical
> > UIDs.
>
> But both events describe the same meeting.

Yes, but they are not the same - when you are invited to some event, you
don't get reliable information on what the other people have answered. So
the two events could easily have different attendee responses set.

> > We might be able to do 2), by changing the way we store an event. So
> > when the user accepts an invitation, we make a new event with a new
> > UID and keep the scheduling UID for reference. But I think this is
> > more easily described than done.
>
> Yes, that will be quite hard to ipmlement. Imagine that the secretary
> wants to send out an invitation for her bosses event. The uid needs to
> be adjusted again before sending. And if she accepts, well, again, etc.

So you think demanding the user to switch off their own calendar first is
the only way to go?

I would be inclined to agree.

Bo.

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark