[Kolab-devel] Resources and groups

Bo Thorsen bo at sonofthor.dk
Tue Sep 7 10:39:47 CEST 2004

Hi all,

We need to figure out what we can do with the resources and groups
scheduling. The building blocks are all there, but we need to figure out
what to do with them.

For those unfamiliar with the terminology: Resources are cars, rooms, etc
that you want to use for some time. Groups are a group of users (a
development group for example). Both have an account on the server, so
you have for example:

Account "red car <red.car at somewhere.com>"
Account "meeting room <meeting.room at somewhere.com>"
Account "kolab development <kolab at somewhere.com>"

And the Kolab group has five real persons.

You can then invite these to your meetings like anyone else. So the
secretary makes a Kolab meeting by inviting meeting.room at somewhere.com
and kolab at somewhere.com.

The question here is what should happen now. Which options should we have
on answering this?

For groups, we can use these settings:

1) Free: accept; Busy: decline
2) Free: accept; Busy: leave in INBOX for user handling
3) Always leave in INBOX

For resources, you could argue that 1) is the only one that makes sense.
But for small companies it might make sense to give the others too. That
only requires that some person has read/write access to the account.

The only place this should be controlled, is in the web gui. It does not
make sense to try and make some protocol for it to be controlled by the
clients.

So, did I miss some usable option? Or?

Comments welcome,

Bo.