[Kolab-devel] IMAP4 locking

Joon Radley joon at radleys.co.za
Wed Sep 1 08:00:18 CEST 2004

Hi Martin,

I will describe the problem the way I was able to reproduce it. We have
received many other variants on the same theme.

Note that under some conditions it happens and under other it works fine.
This is why it took such a long time to diagnose.

When downloading a mailbox from the server for the first time the server
will lock some objects and never free them, the server also does not return
a body for the object but does return an OK status. With every subsequent
synchronization the objects remains lock, even after reboot.

While trying to resolve this I found some references to db3 and db4 locking
problems on the internet. Cyrus created their own database backend to
resolve this. (skiplist)

It would be nice to offer users an alternative database backend especially
where problems and a workaround exist. Secondly I wondered if anybody has
worked with skiplist who can give us some feedback on how stable it is. ( I
was only able to test it under lab conditions ).

Best regards

Joon Radley
Radley Network Technologies CC
Cell: +27 (0)83 368 8557