[Kolab-devel] Multiple identities and event handling

Till Adam till at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Mon Nov 8 15:11:55 CET 2004

Kolaborators,

looking into issue511 today I realized the following problem:

Imagine a secretary called Dave and his boss, Vanessa. Dave has Vanessa's
identity set up, since he needs to send mail on her behalf. He's also
authorized to schedule meetings for here, even ones where she is the
organizer.

Scenario one:

Dave sets up a meeting with Vanessa as the organizer, and some attendees. He
stores the event in her calendar folder, to which he has write access. No
mail is sent out, since the organizer is one of the current user's
identities. All is well. Now he changes the event, which prompts a warning,
since he is not the organizer, which is the issue described in 511. Ok, no
problem, let's change it so that this warning is only shown when the
organizer is not one of our identities.

With that change done, let's look at

Scenario two:

Dave gets invited by Vanessa to his yearly review meeting, she is the
organizer, he is an attendee. He moves the event in his calendar. No warning
is issued, since the organizer is one of our identities, after the change
above, mail is sent to Dave himself, since he is an attendee, and no mail is
sent to Vanessa, since the organizer never gets notified, she should be the
only one capable of changing the event, after all. This is clearly wrong.

Ok, changing an event one is not the organizer of is not something you would
normally do, but the two instances of the event look the same, so it's
impossible to tell which one is the one in Vanessa's calendar, and which one
is the private one, and it happens that one accidently moves a meeting by a
slip of the mouse, in which case the warning is an important cancel point. If
no warning is issued, the event will simply silently be somewhen else for
Dave, but not for Vanessa.

Is that last scenario failing something we'll have to live with in the case of
such a schizophrenic user who really acts as two people with the same rights,
or is there a way to model identities such that it works in all cases?

Till