[Kolab-devel] universal inbox? outlook outgoing transport

Steffen Hansen steffen at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Tue Nov 2 22:54:39 CET 2004

On Tuesday 02 November 2004 16:40, Andreas Gungl wrote:
> > On Tuesday 02 November 2004 12:34, Steffen Hansen wrote:
> > How hard is it to get this integrated with the vacation and
> > forwarding sieve we do?
> > BTW: I have openend issue506 for this, so when we have a conclusion
> > we can register
> > it their and then you can implement it.
>
> The postfix approach seems to be okay. IMO only the admins will
> change this part of the system. But sieve is clearly on the user's
> side.
>
> I'm afraid this will be a source of problems considering that some
> people will try to handle the mail filtering on the server side using
> their own sieve scripts. This is the only way to avoid writing the
> same filter rule on multiple clients (e.g. desktop PC and notebook).
> To avoid this conflicts, they would have to care for those predefined
> sieve rules. Even if only power users will use sieve and given that
> there will be an appropriate user documentation available, I'm still
> in doubt about the approach.

My opinion about this is: If the user messes with Sieve, then it's her
own responsibility to file messages into the right folders. After all,
it's the user's own mail we're talking about here -- we're not patching
the imap server to keep them from accidently deleting all their folders
either ;-)

regards
--
Steffen Hansen          |       Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
Senior Software Engineer|       http://www.klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se