[Kolab-devel] CVS dir names: "devel" and "src"

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed May 12 20:36:55 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 12 May 2004 19:33, Stuart Bingë wrote:
> On Wednesday, 12 May 2004 17:38, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > I might not fully grasp the CVS structure then.
>
> I could also be way off here - I don't have that much experience with
> project structure when it comes to CVS, however this system is something
> that works for us internally, and I thought it would be beneficial for
> Intevation's CVS as well.

Well it is always fine to suggest something
and also add stuff as needed. :)
BTW: It is the CVS of the Kolab Project, it just happens to be hosted
at Intevation currently.

> > Usually in CVS there are Branches and tags that would mark
> > development versions from stable source code lines.
>
> Yeah, I think that's the idea.
>
> > So within the "devel" directory there will be stable and development
> > code in several CVS branches?
>
> Correct.
>
> > Why not call that directory "src" then?
>
> We could do that if you want. I would say 'devel' and 'src' are
> interchangable terms.

I would prefer "src" as many people would think that "devel" means
development as in unstable and subject to change,
but some stable CVS branches should not be "unstable" and subject to change.