[Kolab-devel] Kolab Windows Client

ian reinhart geiser geiseri at sourcextreme.com
Fri Mar 12 16:39:19 CET 2004

Martin Konold said:
> Am Freitag, 12. März 2004 15:44 schrieb Nathan Toone:
[...]
>> used from within the horde interface)?
>
> Reading/parsing tnef files is rather easy. The problem is creating them.
I'm sure you would like to ammend that statement, as currenly there is no
complete way to read TNEF outside of windows ;)  KTNEF currently assumes
ALL winmail.dat files are iCal files.  We are looking at fixing this
though.  As parsing is trivial, figureing out what everything is has been
pretty much ignored.  Lucky we have discovered about 160 undocumented MAPI
properties over the last year, and are finding more.  Ideally this
information along with our MAPI toolkit will assist in a more complete
TNEF reader.

> In the future (Q3/04) we expect to have a solution for this problem
> though. I
> am currently working on the technical specs to get it working.
TNEF is basicly serialized MAPI property tables.  Something we have gotten
VERY good at dealing with ;)  I'll ping our guys here to see what the
reality of writing a serializer on linux would be.  Really the worse part
about MAPI,TNEF,Outlook and friends is the more you read and follow the
docs the further from the truth you get.  The best way to solve most of
these problems are with good ole reverse engineering, and test driven
design.  Between "Inside MAPI and MSDN" we got about 6 months behind...
until we got MAPIspy we really where just writing tons of useless code.

Just my 2c though ;)

Cheers
   -ian reinhart geiser

!DSPAM:4051db4540551516910715!