[Kolab-devel] yet another way to build kolab

Steffen Hansen steffen at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Tue Jun 8 00:44:21 CEST 2004

On Monday 07 June 2004 20:44, Richard Bos wrote:

> > > I have attached the files that should be included to enable the
> > > autotools for the module kolab-webadmin only.
> >
> > I like the fact that this way we can introduce the autotools in a
> > low risk manner.
> >
> > Steffen: Is it fine with you to commit the changes?

Thanks for your contribution Richard! This is definitely a step in the
right direction I think. I have integrated your work into the
kolab-webadmin package in CVS. I made some changes, read further below.

> Just wondering how to deal with the mysmarty.php that I renamed to
> mysmarty.php.in?  If both files stay in cvs they must be
> synchronized, if mysmarty.php is going to be removed the ombtool must
> be updated (I assume).

That's no problem, mysmarty.php is removed and mysmarty.php.in is added.
The autotools based tarball is the "main distributable" from our point
of view, then OpenPKG and others can build RPMs from that. I also want
to be able to build RPMs (in fact that is quite important to me, but
you probably know that by now ;-).

I changed the stuff a little: I pushed the autotools stuff one directory
inwards, so it resides in server/kolab-webadmin/kolab-webadmin instead
of server/kolab-webadmin. The reason is that the outer dir is used for
stuff required to build RPMs (spec-file and Makefile that creates a
tarbal and invokes rpm to build a package). I also changed the
versioning a bit to the release datestamp we currently use is not part
of the tarball version -- only the rpm release number uses that. I also
had to add a chown call to Makefile.am to be able to install the stuff
from the tarball and make it work (the templates_c dir needs to be
writable by the webserver user), but besides that I like it.

I also changed our toplevel Makefile and the rpm spec-file to work with
the new stuff.

Let me know what you think of the changes and how we can get the rest
the kolab package to work in a similar way.

NB: I was missing one configure option to tell it which user the
webserver runs as to get the correct ownership on the templates_c file.
The webserver user is read from the dist_conf file, but shouldn't it be
possible to set it on the cmdline of configure?

NB: The tarball you sent was OK because it only contained a few files
(because kolab-webadmin is a simple package), kolab will be more
elaborate, so I would prefer a diff against CVS (or a tarball with new
files and a diff for changed files or whatever is manageable).

> Perhaps it is possible for Thomas to develop a devtool for this
> module based on the autotools.  That would than replace the bootstrap
> script.

That might be, but we don't devtool for now, just the toplevel Makefile
for building our own RPMs.

regards
--
Steffen Hansen          |       Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
Senior Software Engineer|       http://www.klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se