[Kolab-devel] Kolab 2.0 Release Coordination

Dan Ohnesorg Dan at ohnesorg.cz
Sun Jul 11 09:57:51 CEST 2004

Dne Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 04:00:57PM -0400, Jean-Michel Dault napsal:

> > 1. All binaries must match the Kolab requirements with regards to versions,
> > compile time options and features (e.g. some binaries require a Kolab
> > specific patch). The requirements of Kolab are not met in every respect by
> > the distribution vendors.
>
> - OpenLDAP has not been modified. It can work with or without SASL
> support (I haven't seen bi-directional dependencies in years)
> - Cyrus-SASL: LDAP support might be experimental, but most distros have
> it enabled
> - Postfix: no modifications
> - Cyrus-imap: all the patches you apply should be merged upstream, as
> they apply to every distro. The only kolab-specific patch is the group
> patch, and it's currently not applied in Mandrake, because we're looking
> to put the groups in LDAP.
> - Postfix: most distros should have LDAP support
> - Apache: most distros include LDAP and DAV support

I agree with this. Look from my side. I have about 50 linux boxes (not
Mandrake, sorry ;-) and applying security update means test it once and apply it
50x times, which can be automatized. But Kolab server needs more work, first
it is not so easy to patch them, you must use two versions of rpm and take
care if you are patching original distro files or openPKG stuff. Monitor
processes which are monitoring if all linux boxes are up to date need use
two lists of packages versions, one for kolab and one for all other
machines. You need to watch more places for updates, some security problems
are related only to some distribution (wrong file rights in rpm..)

cheers
dan