[Kolab-devel] Beta-Strategy for Server?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Dec 13 12:07:38 CET 2004

On Monday 13 December 2004 11:30, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Montag, 13. Dezember 2004 11:08 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:

> > > requirement makes it very difficult to gain reliable mirroring.
> >
> > It is easy to do reliable mirroring: Just mirror the symlinks. ;)
>
> Sorry but your answer is not suitable. E.g. if we want to use the kde.org
> mirroring infrastructure for releases we cannot depend on symlinks.

I don't know much about the kde mirroring structure,
and I am also unsure if we should use it for kolab.
Kolab is a separate project and last time we used the infrastructure
we had a couple of old directories around for a while.
Of course it is very kind of KDE to offer the structure.

> This is due to the plain fact that symlinks are intentionally disabled with
> man webservers.

It should be okay to set up a webserver with symlinks enabled in one
directory. We should make this easier in publishing short instructions for
what it needs to become a mirror.

> Technically FTP is a dying protocol and we should not depend on it.

We don't Http and rsync are fully capable of serving this.