[Kolab-devel] Kolab 2 ... bad design.

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Aug 20 15:07:42 CEST 2004

On Friday 20 August 2004 05:00, IGnatius T Foobar wrote:
>  I just read the "Kolab 2" specification.

There is only a draft yet, which document in which version did you read?

> What a big pile of garbage.

>  Kolab 1 was elegant.  It was simple.  It was functional.  It was easy to
> build on.  Why did you throw all that away and replace it with a big
> unmaintainable pile of XML?  Why are we all going to have to rewrite our
> software to interoperate with that?
>
>  This is the dumbest design decision I've seen in a long time.

Thanks for taking the time and helping us with your detailed
and helpful criticism.

Seriously:
The design of the Kolab2  storage format
(assuming that this is what you are ranting about).
is as simple as we could to it.
We learned that from experience.
Our goal is to get Kolab2 working for users
and there was no way to do thatwith iCalendar as storage format.
We challenge other projects to prove us wrong.