[Kolab-devel] non rpm/openpkg sources

Corey corey_s at qwest.net
Wed Aug 11 16:03:46 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 11 August 2004 09:54 am, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 11. August 2004 01:03 schrieb Corey:
>
> Hi,
>
> In general I recommend you to put your efforts in the already nicely
> stabalizing Kolab 2.x branch.

Sounds good.

> > How about the same, but for the latest/current development, or Kolab 2.x
> > sources?
>
> Please have a look at
>
> 	http://www.erfrakon.de/projects/kolab/download/kolab-server-2.0/

Excellent!

> There you can find the OpenPKG rpms. You can easily extract the contents
> using rpm2cpio. In addition there is the obmtool.conf which tells you the
> building options required for Kolab. Last but not least be aware of the
> fact that some components e.g. the Cyrus imapd requires patches from us.

Could you list which packages require patches?

> All information is nicely packed into the rpms and it should be straight
> forward to extract them.
>
> > My goal is to begin looking into the prospect of creating a real, actual
> > gentoo ebuild for kolab.
>
> Cool! While I do not know Gentoo I am wondering if you have special
> requirements with regards to the filesystem hierarchy? I am mentioning that
> because our autotools support is incomplete in this regard.

Yes, gentoo does not specificaly conform to the LSB - and it is an important
requirement for a decent ebuild to act in accordance to standard gentoo
configuration and installation routines.

> > Aside from gentoo, it seems to me that it would make alot of sense if
> > kolab were packaged/distributed in a much more distro-agnostic fashion.
>
> Well, there is the cvs.... You can of course get the stuff from there but
> there are implicit dependencies on the versions of some products e.g. the
> LDAP , SMTP and IMAP server.

Cool, being able to work from cvs and with pristine sources w/ patches, will
be the first important step towards the right direction.  Having a
traditional source-based package and install routine will make kolab 2 more
accessable, and further, having officially maintained gentoo ebuilds will
definitely generate alot of interest.

Thanks for the info!

Beers,

Corey

- --

"Government begins by protecting some against others and ends up
protecting itself against everyone."
  - Robert LeFevre