[Kolab-devel] CVS structure (upload of CF engine)

Thomas Lotterer thl at dev.de.cw.com
Wed Apr 7 23:27:43 CEST 2004

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004, Stephan Buys wrote:

> 3) obmtool.conf, obmtool should be moved to
>    the utilities folder, if kept here at all...

I want to mention that the obmtool shell script is developed independent
of Kolab, unlike the obmtool.conf script/configuration which is
naturally tied very closely to the solution being built with the tool.

The intention was to keep the obmtool.conf in a version controlled
repository along with the solution (Kolab in this context). I did not
assume someone puts the obmtool into his own repository, too.

Shit happend because the version of obmtool directly relates to the
CVS Id keyword which is to be expanded automatically at commit. When
Kolab imported the tool the original ZfOS Id was destroyed because it
was replaced by the Kolab CVS. This has the potential for more version
confusion we already face.

I understand that people want to keep a matching pair of tool and
conf in their repository. So I decided to support this. To remedy the
situation please note that obmtool found it's home at

    ftp://ftp.zfos.org/comp/obmtool/

with

    ChangeLog   - created by cvs2cl(1)
    obmtool     - hardlink to latest obmtool-x.y
    obmtool-x.y - all published versions of obmtool

Beginning with obmtool-1.32 the header was modified so the Id keyword
is duplicated and one of two copies is modified to be untouchable by
CVS. As long as anyone uses obmtool directly downloaded from ZfOS the
two lines will show the same information. When someone decides to import
obmtool into his own repository the untouchable line will still show the
original ZfOS Id and the other line will be replaced by the local CVS.
This should ease service and support.

So please be so kind download and import the latest (at least >= 1.32)
version of obmtool for use in a local CVS. Only a small step towards
proper release engineering but a chance to avoid growth of version
confusion.

Example header original download from ZfOS
##   Id: obmtool,v 1.32 2004/04/05 20:48:21 thl cvs.ZfOS.org
##  $Id: obmtool,v 1.32 2004/04/05 20:48:21 thl Exp $

Example this file being imported into Kolab
##   Id: obmtool,v 1.32 2004/04/05 20:48:21 thl cvs.ZfOS.org
##  $Id: obmtool,v 1.2 2004/04/08 12:34:56 steffen Exp $

PS: a related step in the hope to avoid confusion is a decision I made
    yesterday to refrain from using the word "release" when talking
    about ZfOS snapshots.

--
Thomas.Lotterer at cw.com, Cable & Wireless