[Kolab-devel] Kolab Support for the Toltec Connector

Bo Thorsen bo at sonofthor.dk
Thu Oct 30 09:11:17 CET 2003

On Thursday 30 October 2003 08:24, Joon Radley wrote:
> > > 2) What is the
> > > format of the hidden synchronization message in the folders?

There are no hidden sync messages in the folders.

> > This message is sofar not finally defined. I will make a proposal
> > later. Basically the KDE Kolab Client currently does not support
> > multiple folders of the same type e.g. multiple calendars.

That's not true.

Open the preferences of a folder, and choose the contents to be mail,
calendar, tasks, or notes.

> > Please let me know when you need to finally know this format.
>
> As soon as it is ready.

... but I agree it would be nice to have such a message, so we never have
the problem of seeing the long list of iCals in the mails.

> > > 3) What is the
> > > format of the "groupware" messages?
> >
> > What do you mean?
>
> IMAP stores the messages in RFC822 format. Now if you have a mail with
> multiple MIME parts of text/plain and text/x-vcard, is this a groupware
> contact message or a normal email message where the sender has attached
> his VCARD.
>
> Now from what I can see from your document and the answer of question 1
> you infer the type of the message based on the mailbox that it is
> stored in. This can be a bit ambiguous.
>
> Maybe this can be resolved by the following:
>
> 1) The following additional headers in the RFC822 message:
>
>   With this the RFC822 message defines the content of the groupware
> object. The version for each type will help later, when changes to the
> formats take place.

Can you make Outlook do that easily? I doubt it. And the fact that it can
be done is not enough - think of a corporation with 10000 users that all
have to set these options (if it can be done). Support hell.

No special headers.

> 2) The message is made up of two MIME parts:
>   text/plain: A text summary of the groupware object.
>   text/*: The actual object like text/calendar or text/v-card
>
> What do you think?
>
> Also in the document NOTES and TASKS have the MIME type text/plain,
> maybe it can be changed to text/x-note and text/x-task. Journals are
> undefined in the document. (RFC2445 VJOURNAL)

We (and Outlook) do it by looking at the content type. This is what one of
my iCals in my Calendar look like: