[Kolab-devel] Kolab Support for the Toltec Connector

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Nov 6 18:31:23 CET 2003

On Thursday 06 November 2003 18:13, Joon Radley wrote:

> > As someone who has administered a variety of multilingual mail
> > systems, I concur with the judgement that the MS solution is
> > moronic.
> >
> :-( <*bows head in shame, moron, moron, moron*>

As you seem to take this a bit personally.
Did you actually implement or design that feature of OL? ;-)

> But what about sub folders? When a user creates a sub folder with a
> arbitrary name, how will this be translated? Babel Fish or will users only
> be allowed to create sub folders from a list of approved folder names?
>
> Until such a standard becomes reality each client is going to implement its
> own solution. Take the model put forward by Bo. Each folder must be
> manually mapped to folder type and translated. This must be done for each
> install and reinstall.

Well we can set the Kolab standard
and then at least all clients can be tested to be compatible or not.
So if we come up with a good solution, others will try to be compatible.

> This create a few problem for me.
>
> 1)If I have to tell a system administrator that if a virus strikes his
> organization he will have to reinstall, map folder types and rename folders
> for 2000 clients, he will not buy my product. ( Actually he will die
> laughing. )

Why that? Would a virus attack delete folders or the mappings?

> 2)I have to adhere to the limitation set to me by Outlook. I need to now
> what type a folder is when creating it. Normal users will not know how to
> map this folder and so they will phone the administrator. ( As an
> administrator you can image handling 3000 calls like this. Been there, done
> that. )

Does that mean that you could not influence the folder name Outlook
will create with your plugin?
It is not comfortable, that is true.

> We can argue about the best/ideal model to do this. This, however, does not
> bring me closer to supporting the Kolab clients.

Currently both clients just have to know what folder names they use.
And those standard folder then just work.
For the next revision of the Kolab standard we could come up with
a better solution.