[Kolab-devel] Kolab Support for the Toltec Connector

RLake at oxfam.org.pe RLake at oxfam.org.pe
Thu Nov 6 16:57:02 CET 2003

> What Bo means is that standard names for folders and then a translation
> by the client might have been the better solution, because then clients
> with different language settings could work on the same folders
> without having a huge map of all translations of the folder names.

Absolutely. 100% in agreement.

As someone who has administered a variety of multilingual mail
systems, I concur with the judgement that the MS solution is
moronic.

Consider the case where you are bulk creating new mailboxes.
You don't know what language the user will want to use. Way easier
to create everything with a standard name, and count on the client
to translate the standard names to something which makes sense
for the user.

The problem is that you have to standardise the names, and there
is no convention for this. Suppose the client (mentioning no names,
but a moronic client does this) automatically creates folders
if it doesn't find the one it needs. Then, even though you have
correctly created a sent folder, the client automatically creates
a folder called, say, "enviados". Now any server-side scripting
you might want to do is going to fail. It's a right PITA.

I would personally favour putting translation entries in the
folder itself, sort of like ISO9660 translation. There could,
for example, be a folder called something like !XLATE, which
contained individual messages with headers X-Standard-Name and
X-Presented-Name. If everyone standardised on a system like
this -- which is dreaming in technicolour -- then I could
even see correct folder names on a borrowed computer.

Rici