[Kolab-devel] Kolab Support for the Toltec Connector

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Nov 6 16:30:09 CET 2003

On Thursday 30 October 2003 10:49, Joon Radley wrote:

> > There are no hidden sync messages in the folders.

> To conclude, the client cannot determine the type of a folder until the
> users maps the folder.

Yes.
Sometimes it even makes sense to switch that mapping dynamically.

> > We specify in the client, which folder should be the parent of the
> > groupware folders. In that parent, we place folders named "Calendar",
> > "Contacts", "Notes", and "Tasks". If the users want to, they can get the
> > localized names Outlook uses, but I really hate that, because the MS
> > morons translated the folder names on disk instead of just in the GUI.
>
> As long as I have data persistence in folder names you can call me a moron
> ;-)

What Bo means is that standard names for folders and then a translation
by the client might have been the better solution, because then clients
with different language settings could work on the same folders
without having a huge map of all translations of the folder names.

> I only wrote the mail to obtain information on how other kolab clients
> interact with the backend. Naturally I will ask questions and float some
> ideas for some open discussion.

Please do so, any feedbakc is highly appreciated,
even when we sometimes sound a bit crisp. :)